When Is a Dental Crown Needed?
You probably know what a dental crown is, and you probably know people with a crown or two, but do you really know how helpful a dental crown is when it comes to your oral health? Dental crowns are a useful trick that dentists have had up their sleeves for many years. It is perfect not only for protecting your oral health, but also for restorative and cosmetic treatments as well!
Why Would I Need a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are wonderfully versatile tools. Their uses are many, but here are just a few things that they can be used for:
- Dental crowns are used many times to protect a tooth that has been weakened due to decay or breakage after a cavity is removed.
- A crown can be used to prevent a cracked tooth from falling apart, or cleaving.
- If a simple tooth-colored filling isn’t enough to restore the structure of a tooth after a cavity is removed, the crown is typically put in place to offer structure and protection.
- Dental crowns can be mounted onto healthy teeth to provide support for a dental bridge.
- A crown can also be used in a cosmetic way to cover yellowed or misshapen teeth.
What is it Made of?
You may have seen young children with crowns completely made out of shiny metal, but a dental crown can be made of tooth-colored ceramic as well. Since crowns can be made of different materials but at the same time provide the same fixes, they are perfect for cosmetic uses as well.
If you want to know more about the process of placing a crown or getting one yourself, then give us a call or stop by the office today!