Porcelain Veneers 101
Having a beautiful smile is everyone’s wish. However, not all of us realize our smile aesthetic goals without cosmetic dental procedures. When you seek cosmetic dental treatments, your dentist might recommend smile-enhancing options such as dental veneers.
What Are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers are thin ceramic laminates that cover the front parts of damaged teeth to improve their color, shape, and size. People considering dental veneers should have cosmetic goals. If your teeth are badly damaged, your dentist might recommend dental crowns to cover them.
Some of the candidates of dental veneers have the following characteristics:
- Chips or cracks on their teeth
- Gaps between their teeth
- Have minor teeth misalignments
- Severely stained or discolored teeth
If you are considering getting dental veneers, you should meet some criteria to be a suitable candidate. Some of the factors that make you a candidate for dental veneers include:
- You have a good oral and periodontal health
- Have realistic goals that you can relay to your dentist
- Can maintain good oral hygiene after getting your dental veneers
- Ready to quit smoking and using any tobacco products
- Have enough enamel to hold the dental veneers
Who Is Not Eligible for Dental Veneers?
Healthy gums are one of the factors that make you a suitable candidate for porcelain veneers. Therefore, if you have gum disease, root canal infection, and tooth decay, you might not be eligible for dental veneers. However, if you receive treatments for the above dental problems, you can receive tooth veneers.
When you are considering getting dental veneers, you should bear in mind the treatment is permanent. Therefore, if you need other dental treatments, it is advisable to notify your dentist. If you need another dental treatment, you might not be eligible for tooth veneers.
Also, people who grind their teeth or clench jaws might not be eligible for dental veneers since pressure and friction damages the porcelain laminates.
Dental Veneers Procedure
When you seek dental veneer treatments near you, the first step is consultation. During the consultation, your dentist in SE, Calgary will examine your teeth. Apart from a physical dental exam, your dentist might recommend dental x-rays to check the extent of the damage.
The dentist will then listen to your concerns and help you choose a suitable cosmetic dental treatment. When you are relaying your aesthetic goals, it is advisable to have realistic expectations.
Next, the dentist will prepare your tooth to place the dental veneer. During the preparation, your dentist will shed some parts of your teeth of similar size to your dental veneers. Your dentist will then take impressions of your teeth and send them to the dental lab to make permanent porcelain laminates.
In the meantime, the dentist might place a temporary dental veneer on the tooth. Your permanent tooth veneer might take up to three weeks from the dental lab. Once the dental veneers arrive, your dentist will schedule the next dental visit.
During the next dental visit, your dentist will remove the temporary dental veneer and replace it with a permanent one. The dentist can make necessary adjustments before cementing the tooth in place. If the shade of your dental veneers doesn’t match the natural color of your teeth, the dentist might use cement that resembles your natural teeth.
Taking Care of Your Dental Veneers
Dental veneers can last up to ten years if well taken care of properly. Therefore, you can consider the following care tips to increase their lifespan:
- Brush your teeth twice daily using fluoride toothpaste to prevent the accumulation of plaque and debris on the surfaces
- Replace your toothbrush at least every three months
- Floss your teeth at least once daily to prevent plaque and tartar from accumulating around the teeth and below the gum line
- Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings
- Although the porcelain material is stain-resistant, you can avoid smoking or using tobacco products
- Avoid biting down on ice or chewing hard objects to prevent damaging your tooth veneers
- Wear a protective mouthguard when playing contact sports to prevent damaging your dental veneers
Dentist Near You
Are you looking for a dentist near you for dental veneers? If you live around SE, Calgary, you can consider visiting our clinic at Willow Park Dental and get to enjoy quality cosmetic dental services.